Thursday, August 4, 2016

Are you a spender?

I certainly was.  Before I had kids I didn't worry too much about where the money was going because I worked full time and my husband had a great job.  And even once we had kids we didn't have to worry too much about money.
About 3 years ago my husband and I bought a home in a great community and refinanced our new mortgage into a 15 year fixed.  Around the same time my husband took a new job and while his base compensation was higher, he lost out on stock options and bonuses that we were used to using for vacations, savings, paying down debt, and for larger purchases for home and entertainment.
This past year my husband took another job and his base compensation was cut but he gets bonuses and stock options again.  While this is great because it means we will have funds for large projects and things we haven't had the funds for, it also means that we have to do a better job of living in our means month to month.  While we don't have to cut things out of our budget, we definitely need to be better about adhering to it.
My husband and I have gone through Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University and I highly recommend that if you have any struggles when it comes to money or questions in regards to how to make your money work for you that you go to his website and go through his course.  Financial Peace is often held at local churches and run by a past student.  Please check it out if you want to learn more about how to make your money work for you - you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment